Bonfire night mulled juice
Bonfire night mulled apple juice
Autumn’s chilly fingers are tickling at our collars, and it’s time to turn our attention to that most British of celebrations: Bonfire Night! Whether you’re just having fun with the little or entertaining adults, certain elements – a warming hot drink, sweet treats and a lot of apples – are must-have classics.
There’s nothing like a hot drink to keep hands and bellies warm while bundled up outside, and this family-friendly spiced juice does the trick while introducing the scents of Christmas into the air.
You will need:
- A bottle of apple juice – the clear kind looks nicest
- An orange
- Mixed spices – favourites include a pinch of whole cloves (4-6), a couple of star anise and or two cinnamon sticks, but feel free to experiment with your favourites here.
- Honey, sugar or maple syrup – an optional sweetener
- Thinly slice the orange. If you prefer you can just use the peel, in which case save the peeled orange for a snack or juicing another time.
- Pour the apple juice into a saucepan and add the orange slices and spices.
- Simmer gently until thoroughly infused – about 5-10 minutes – and then taste and add sweetener as preferred. Don’t let the mixture boil as it can sour the taste.
Clink mugs and enjoy!
Kids craving something more indulgent? Flora’s Forbidden Buttery Beer is definitely not just for Halloween…