Butternut Squash & Spinach Soup
This simple, scrummy butternut squash and spinach soup recipe is packed full of good things – not just the dark green spinach (and the butternut squash too) but carrots and leeks as well. There’s a lovely chilli kick too, along with the warmth of cumin to liven things up a bit. With added depth from chicken stock, this soup’s so easy but so warming and delicious!
- Recipe serves: 4
- Prep Time 20 min
- Cook Time 30 min
- 1.5 tbsp Flora Cuisine or 20g Flora Buttery
- 1 leek (pale green and white only), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 0.25 tsp hot chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 500 ml butternut squash, peeled deseeded and diced
- 1 Small carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 l chicken stock
- 100 g baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 15 g fresh thyme chopped, optional
- hot pepper sauce to taste, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat Flora over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic. Sauté until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in chilli flakes, cumin, squash and carrots, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add stock; bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in spinach and simmer uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour soup into food processor, reserving some squash for garnish and puree until smooth.
- Season to taste with hot pepper sauce and garnish with remaining squash and chopped fresh thyme if desired.