Could this be the ultimate comfort food dish? This easy recipe is macaroni cheese plus a little bit extra – not just soothing, creamy cheesy pasta but some more yummy bits too. Sweetcorn, chopped ham and diced red pepper all go in with the usual Cheddar cheese, macaroni and English mustard. Then everything’s sprinkled with more cheese and some breadcrumbs for an extra crunchy crusty top.
- Prep Time 20 min
- Cook Time 20 min
- 175 g (6oz) macaroni
- 3 tbsp Flora Cuisine
- 55 g (2oz) plain flour
- 600 ml (1 pint) semi-skimmed milk
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 x 210 g (7oz) tinned sweetcorn
- 100 g (3½oz) ham, chopped
- 115 g (4oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- 0.5 tsp Colman's Mustard Powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 25 g (1oz) wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Cook macaroni in a saucepan in fast boiling water for 10 minutes and drain well.
- Place Flora, flour and milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil, whisking continuously until thickened.
- Add pepper, sweetcorn, ham, 85g (3oz) cheese, mustard powder and seasoning. Simmer for 2–3 minutes. Stir in macaroni, then place in an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Cook in preheated oven 200ºC, 180ºC fan, gas mark 6 for 20 minutes until golden.