Carrot cake is a classic, and this recipe’s a super-simple variation on that delicious theme. Just add grated carrots to the dry ingredients, which include both plain and wholemeal flour for extra texture. Once you’ve beaten in eggs and some easy-to-use Flora Cuisine, you’re away – just pop it in the oven. A tangy lemon icing contrasts with the sweet, cinnamon-flavoured cake to really liven it up.
- Prep Time 10 min
- Cook Time 45 min
- 200 g (7oz) wholemeal self raising flour
- 115 g (4oz) plain flour
- 350 g (12oz) caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250 ml (9fl oz) Flora Cuisine
- 3 Large carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 eggs, Medium
- 2 lemons, grated
- 225 g (8oz) icing sugar
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in carrot and gradually beat in Flora Cuisine and eggs. Pour into a greased and bottom lined 20cm (8-inch) square cake tin.
- Bake in preheated oven 180°C, 160°C fan, gas mark 4 for 45–55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Use a sharp knife to remove outer pith and then segment lemons. Squeeze out remaining juice and add to icing sugar in a bowl with the segments. Mix gently and spread over the cake. Sprinkle with the zest.