Date & Walnut Loaf
A perfect teatime recipe, packed with fruit and nuts for rich sweet flavours. This easy date and walnut loaf has the same amount of chopped dates as it does flour, plus a tasty scoop of walnuts and a sunny dollop of Flora. It’s simple to make – just pour boiling water over half the ingredients then stir in the flour, walnuts and egg. Pop in the oven and prepare to slice!
- Recipe serves: 10
- Prep Time 20 min
- Cook Time 75 min
- 4 tbsp Flora Cuisine or 55g Flora Buttery
- 225 g (8oz) dates, chopped
- 50 g (2oz) vanilla sugar
- 50 g (2oz) caster sugar
- 0.5 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125 ml (¼ pint) boiling water
- 50 g (2oz) walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg, Medium, lightly beaten
- 225 g (8oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- icing sugar, to dredge
- walnut halves
- A little jam, to secure
- Place the Flora, dates, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the contents of the bowl. Allow to cool a little.
- Add chopped walnuts, beaten egg and flour, and mix well together.
- Pour into a greased, greaseproof-lined 900g (2lb) loaf tin.
- Bake on the middle shelf of a preheated very moderate oven 160°C, 150°C fan, gas mark 3 for approximately 1¼–1½ hours.
- Leave the loaf in the tin for 10–15 minutes before turning out and removing paper. Cool on a wire tray.
- Dredge with icing sugar and decorate with walnut halves, secured with a little jam before serving.