A simple yet delicious recipe for shepherd’s pie given a little extra lift by adding dried porcini mushrooms, mashed parsnips and your choice of fresh herbs. Add the soaked porcinis to chopped onion, garlic, carrot and flat mushrooms, along with minced lamb. Depth of flavour comes from tomatoes and red wine – plus the addition of some slightly sweeter parsnips along with the usual mashed potato topping.
- Prep Time 25 min
- Cook Time 80 min
- 30 g dried porcini mushrooms, optional
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1 chopped carrot
- 450 g (1lb) lean lamb mince
- 200 g (7oz) Large flat mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 100 ml (3½fl oz) red wine
- handful of fresh chopped herbs
- -For the mash-
- 900 g floury potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 25 g (1oz) Flora Buttery
- 100 ml (3½fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- Place porcini mushrooms in a small bowl and just cover with cold water. Leave to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the Flora in a pan and add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the lamb and cook over a high heat for 10 minutes or until meat is brown.
- Add the porcini and flat mushrooms with the soaking liquid, tomatoes, purée, red wine and herbs. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Uncover and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the mash, cook the potatoes in plenty of boiling water until cooked. Drain, put back into pan and mash well with the Flora and milk.
- Place the meat mixture into an ovenproof dish or individual dishes and top with the mash. Grill for 3–4 minutes until tops are golden or brown in oven at 190°C, 170°C fan, gas mark 5 for 20 minutes.