Cauliflower and Broccoli
Cauliflower and Broccoli with a Crunchy Crust
A tasty twist on a classic, this cauliflower cheese gets some added bite thanks the addition of broccoli florets and a melted cheese and breadcrumb crust. Serve this savoury bake as a main meal with a simple herb and tomato salad. Or add it to your Sunday roast as an extra special side dish.
- Recipe serves: 4
- Prep Time 10 min
- Cook Time 20 min
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 225 g (8oz) broccoli florets
- 25 g (1oz) Flora Buttery
- 115 g (4oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 25 g (1oz) flour
- 300 ml (10.5oz) semi-skimmed milk
- 2 teaspoons Colman's Wholegrain Mustard
- 115 g (4oz) medium fat cheese, e.g. edam cheese, grated
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Tomato and parsley to garnish
- Cook the cauliflower and broccoli in boiling water for about 8 minutes until almost tender. Drain and spoon into an ovenproof dish and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, melt the Flora in a saucepan, add the mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring, until golden brown. With a slotted spoon, lift out on to kitchen paper to drain.
- Stir the flour into the Flora in the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously, until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Add the drained mushrooms and mustard and heat through.
- Remove from the heat, stir in 85g grated cheese until melted and season to taste with pepper. Pour the sauce over the cooked vegetables.
- Mix together the remaining 25g grated cheese with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the sauce. Place under a preheated hot grill until the cheese has melted and the topping is golden brown. Serve garnished with tomato wedges and parsley.