The secret to jerk chicken is the allspice berry. Don’t be fooled by its size – it packs real punch when it comes to taste by carrying about 5 flavours in one tiny berry. With this at the heart of your jerk marinade you can be sure you’ll create some deliciously sweet and spicy Caribbean cuisine. Serve with traditional rice and peas, corn on the cob and roasted sweet potatoes.
- Prep Time 15 min
- Cook Time 40 min
- 1 tbsp allspice berries, crushed (or 1 tsp of allspice)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 3 cm piece fresh root ginger, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 dried Scotch bonnet chillies (or ref chillies), roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp Flora Cuisine
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 4 large chicken legs, skin on, cut into drumstick and thigh (500 g)
- Place all ingredients apart from the sugar, honey, half of the Flora Cuisine and the chicken in a blender and blitz. Add the sugar and honey and blitz again. Place ingredients into a large bowl. Place the chicken into the bowl and using gloves, rub the marinade into the meat with your fingers. Place in fridge for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C, 160°fan, gas mark 4.
- Heat remaining Flora Cuisine in a large ovenproof dish. Add chicken and cook on medium-high heat for 8- 10 minutes, turning once until the chicken is browned in all sides. Cover with ovenproof lid or foil and place in oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. Remove the foil for the last 5 minutes to add extra colour.