Layers of delicious Flora Buttery aubergines and delicately spiced minced lamb are topped with yogurt and cheese and then baked to create a hearty family meal. This tastes even better the next day as the flavours become even yummier – although leftovers are unlikely! Serve with a chunky tomato, cucumber, parsley and mint salad.
- Recipe serves: 4
- Prep Time 15 min
- Cook Time 60 min
- 2 aubergines, cut into 1 cm thick ring slices
- 1 tsp sea salt (to be washed off)
- 500 g (1lb.) lamb mince
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsp Flora Buttery
- 1 courgette, grated
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100 g baby spinach, washed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tinned chopped tomatoes (440 g)
- 200 g fat-free Greek yogurt
- 120 g grated reduced-fat mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 160°C, 140°fan, gas mark 3.
- Grease 6 cm deep, large square baking dish with 1 tablespoon of Flora Buttery.
- Place aubergine on a tray and sprinkle with sea salt. Set aside for 20 minutes. Rinse under cold water and dry with paper towel.
- Place the lamb, garlic, 1 tablespoon of Flora Buttery, courgette, oregano, cinnamon, honey and pepper in a bowl and mix through. Place mixture into a large frying pan and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes stirring regularly until the mince browns. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Flora Buttery in a separate large frying pan. Add half of the aubergines and cook for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Heat another tablespoon (14 g) of Flora Buttery in the same pan and cook the remaining aubergines as before. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan add remaining Flora Buttery and heat. Add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until onions start to soften but do not brown. Add spinach, paprika, parsley and chopped tomatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. Add back the lamb mince and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Arrange a layer of aubergines on the bottom of the baking dish. Add a layer of lamb mince then arrange the second layer of aubergines on top. Add remaining lamb mince. Top with the yoghurt and sprinkle with grated cheese. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.