Why have tarts when you can have a whole cake? For those Bakewell fans, this rich, moist cake is a guaranteed winner. Packed full of flavour, the cherries, almond and white chocolate complement each other perfectly. It makes a great centrepiece for a dinner party dessert, but is classic enough to also take pride of place at an afternoon tea. Serve with a cuppa for a little slice of Bakewell heaven.
- Recipe serves: 12
- Prep Time 15 min
- Cook Time 40 min
- 150 ml Flora Cuisine
- 150 g golden caster sugar
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 150 g ground almonds
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tsp white chocolate spread
- 150 g cherries, stones removed
- 25 g flaked almond
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180°C/160°C fan/350°F.
- Using a food processor or an electric mixer, blend together the Flora Cuisine, sugar, flour, ground almonds, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Place half of the mix into a greased, lined 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin and smooth out.
- Dot the chocolate spread, ½ tsp at a time, all over and scatter with the stoned cherries.
- Drop the remainder of the cake mix in dollops over the cherries and spread to cover. Scatter with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 40 minutes until cooked through and golden brown. Test by poking with a skewer; if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.