When the taste of India is calling, you needn’t rush to the take-away. With this authentic recipe, you can deliver a cracking curry straight from your own kitchen. The aromatic mix of almonds, garlic, cumin, coriander and cream creates a smooth and nutty sauce that blends beautifully with chicken and rice. You can even add a sprinkle of chilli flakes to give a little kick.
- Recipe serves: 4
- Prep Time 15 min
- Cook Time 50 min
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) piece fresh root ginger, chopped
- 55 g (2oz) flaked almonds
- 25 g (1oz) Flora Buttery or 2 tbsps Flora Cuisine
- 550 g (1 1/4lb) chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 10 cardamom pods, split
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 284 ml Elmlea Single Light
- 350 g (12oz) basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 - 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- toasted flaked almonds to garnish (optional)
- Put the onions, garlic, ginger and almonds into a food processor. Add 6 tablespoons cold water and blend to a paste.
- Heat the Flora in a pan; add the chicken, cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon stick. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is golden brown.
- Add the onion paste, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Cook, stirring for 2–3 minutes. Add the Elmlea and 100ml (4fl oz) water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 30–40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- Stir the garam masala and fresh coriander into the chicken mixture and serve with the rice. Garnish with toasted flaked almonds if desired.