Vegan Beet Cheeseburgers
- Cooking time
- Preparation time
- 1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup peeled shredded fresh red beetroot
- 4 tablespoons Flora™ Plant Butter Unsalted
- 6 plain or sesame burger buns
- 6 Violife Just Like Smoked Provolone Slices
|Energy (kcal)||293 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1225 kJ|
|Protein (g)||13.9 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||52.4 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||41.8 g|
|Sugar (g)||6.2 g|
|Fibre (g)||10.6 g|
|Fat (g)||2.9 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.6 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||1.9 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.7 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.2 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||944 mg|
|Salt (g)||2.35 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||26 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||3.2 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||135 mg|
|Iron (mg)||4.84 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||440 mg|
- In a small pot bring dried lentils, water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer lentils for 20-30 minutes, or until lentils are fully cooked. Drain excess liquid, and set cooked lentils aside to cool.
- Whisk ground cumin, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and bread crumbs together in a bowl.
- Add shredded beets and cooked lentils into bowl with dry ingredients.
- Using a potato masher or your hands, mix ingredients together until all dry ingredients are incorporated and the lentils are broken down.
- Form 6 burger patties and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- In a frying pan, melt 4 tablespoons of Flora™ Plant Butter Unsalted over medium heat. When Plant Butter starts to bubble, sear patties for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve cooked patties on hamburger buns and top with Violife cheese slices.
Pan fry burger patties until they are charred on the outside. This will enhance the flavor, and create a crispy texture.