Vegan Churros with Ancho Chili Chocolate Sauce
- Cooking time
- Preparation time
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Flora™ Plant Butter Unsalted
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 cup Flora™ Plant Butter Unsalted
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
|Energy (kcal)||1979 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||8278 kJ|
|Protein (g)||17.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||284.3 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||276.9 g|
|Sugar (g)||179.7 g|
|Fibre (g)||7.4 g|
|Fat (g)||86.2 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||32.7 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||49.7 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||29.4 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||20.4 g|
|Trans fat (g)||10.6 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||651 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.62 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||3146 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||1.4 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||122 mg|
|Iron (mg)||6.88 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||567 mg|
- Combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Combine chocolate, vanilla and ancho chile powder in small bowl.
- Heat coconut milk and Flora Plant Butter in small saucepan until bubbling.
- Pour coconut milk mixture over chocolate and stir until melted. Keep warm.
- Heat about 1-1/2 inches vegetable oil in large pot or deep skillet over medium-high heat to 360 degrees.
- While oil is heating, combine flax meal with 3 tablespoons water; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 cup water, butter and sugar to medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add flour, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes or until mixture comes together and is smooth.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl and cool 5 minutes. Add flax meal mixture and vanilla and beat with electric mixture on low speed about 2 minutes or until mixture comes together and is smooth.
- Transfer dough to 16-inch piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Use a star tip about 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide. Carefully pipe mixture into hot oil into about 6-inch in length; cut ends with scissor. Fry 3 to 4 churros at one time. Don't overcrowd the pot or it will drop the temperature and the churros will stick together.
- Fry about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to dry briefly then transfer to cinnamon sugar mixture and roll to coat.
- Repeat process with remaining dough. Serve warm with chocolate sauce.
A thinner star tip will give a crisper churro. The number of churros will vary with the size of the star tip and the length of the churro. If you don't want to pipe the churros directly into the oil, you can pipe them onto parchment then gently transfer them to the oil. Churros will naturally curl when cooking. For straight churros, pipe onto parchment then freeze for 30 minutes before adding to the oil.