Cauliflower Broccoli Pancakes
This is an unusual but still easy and tasty pancake recipe that really livens up some of the family’s five a day. Little florets of cauliflower and broccoli are smothered in a creamy ham, mushroom and mustard sauce – given some extra sunflowery goodness* by Flora Cuisine or Flora Original. Fill your cauliflower and broccoli pancakes and finish in the oven for a special dish, simple enough to make any day.
- Cook the cauliflower and broccoli in boiling water for about 8 minutes until almost tender.
- Drain and spoon into an ovenproof dish and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce.
- Place the Flora Cuisine, flour and milk in a saucepan and stir constantly on a medium heat to bring to the boil.
- Next add the mushrooms and let it simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the mustard, ham and 85g (3oz) grated cheese until melted and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked vegetables.
- Finally, add the vegetable mix and sauce into a casserole dish, sprinkle over the remaining cheese and place under a hot grill until the cheese has melted.
- Serve garnished with tomato wedges and parsley.
- Alternatively, use the mix as a filling for pancakes.
- For the batter: place flour in a mixing bowl, add an egg and gradually whisk in milk, beating well.
- Heat a teaspoon of Flora in a frying pan and pour in a little batter; tip pan to spread.
- Cook until underside is golden brown and then cook other side.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
- Fill pancakes and roll or fold up.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and reheat in oven 180 °C, 160°C fan, gas mark 4 for 12–15 minutes.
- 1 Small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 225 g (8oz) broccoli florets
~ Sauce ~
- 2 tbsp Flora Cuisine or 25g Flora Original
- 25 g (1oz) flour
- 300 ml (½ pint) semi-skimmed milk
- 115 g (4oz) mushrooms
- 1 tsp English Mustard
- 115 g (4oz) diced ham
- 115 g (4oz) reduced fat mature cheddar cheese, grated
~ Batter ~
- 115 g (4oz) plain flour
- 1 Medium egg
- 300 ml semi-skimmed milk
- Flora Cuisine or Flora Buttery, to fry (10 g)