Dairy Free Shortcrust Pastry: Rubbing-in Method
If you think you’re missing out on delicious desserts by following a free-from diet, help is at hand with this amazing dairy-free shortcrust pastry recipe. Soft and crumbly, our magic three-ingredient dairy-free shortcrust pastry is a great alternative to the classic version of this recipe and is great for tarts and pies alike. Create the perfect base for your desserts or savoury recipes with Flora Dairy Free using the rubbing-in method. The method is super simple and easy – all you need is three ingredients and your fingertips to create the ultimate dairy-free pastry!
Making your own dairy-free pastry will be life-changing and worth it. You can have it ready in only 15 minutes. Simply mix the ingredients in a bowl and rub with your fingertips until the dough comes together. The result? An exquisite, super-soft dairy-free shortcrust pastry that will taste delicious and that is totally off the charts. Let yourself be inspired with our dairy-free pastry recipe!
- Pre-heat the oven to fairly-hot 200°C, 180°C fan or gas mark 6.
- Sieve flour into a bowl and add Flora. Rub Flora into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine, even breadcrumbs. Measure the water with a standard measuring spoon and add 2 tablespoons (30 ml) to the rubbed-in mixture.
- Mix with a round-bladed knife until the dough begins to come together. Gather together with your fingertips to form a rough dough. Make sure you leave the sides of the bowl clean!
- Knead lightly with your fingertips on a lightly-floured surface to form a firm and smooth silky dough. Place in a cool place to 'relax'.
- Roll out on a lightly-floured surface with short, even, forward strokes to the size and thickness required.
Try not to overwork the pastry to achieve a perfect, melt-in-your-mouth crumbly texture. It will ensure the crust remains flaky and delicate and that it doesn’t turn tough after baking. Also, for the best results, remember to make sure your Flora is straight out of the fridge and very cold when preparing the recipe. Now you know how to make the perfect dairy-free pastry every time!
- • 225 g plain flour
- • 115 g Flora Dairy Free, straight from the fridge
- • 2 tablespoons water (30 ml)