Delicious Vegan Butternut Dahl
Keen to try a plant-based recipe that’s both great-tasting and good for you? You’ll want to try our vegan dahl with butternut squash recipe. Lentil recipes like dahl are so hearty and warming, and the butternut squash gives it a sweetness that blends really well with the aromatic Indian spices. As the main ingredients are butternut squash and lentils, it’s also a healthy recipe packed full of veggies!
Ready to try this firecracker among lentil and butternut squash recipes? Let’s go!
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan. On a baking tray, toss the butternut squash chunks in the vegetable oil, garam marsala and a big pinch of salt. Roast for 30 minutes, until softened.
- Whilst the squash is roasting, add the cumin seeds to a saucepan and toast for 30 seconds, then add the Flora Dairy Free.
- Once melted, add the chopped onion and gently fry for a couple of minutes, until starting to turn translucent. Add the crushed garlic, red chilli and grated ginger, fry for 3 minutes longer. Add the turmeric, then tip in the lentils, stirring to coat them in the spices.
- Pour 800ml of water into the saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are softened.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add the roasted squash, and lemon juice, taste and season. Serve topped with a dollop of vegan yoghurt and coriander.
Out of all the lentil and butternut squash recipes out there, this butternut squash dahl may just be our favourite. It’s great as a starter at a dinner party (and it works perfectly even for vegan guests) or as part of an Indian-themed buffet. But this fiery dahl with butternut squash and lentils also makes for a lovely lunch or dinner to warm you up on a chilly day.
- 1 butternut squash peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 45 g Flora Dairy Free
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped red chilli
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 200 g red lentils
- ½ lemon
- Coriander and vegan yogurt (to serve)