With only 20 minutes of preparation time, this tasty pumpkin pie recipe is really quick and easy to make. It has a delicious soft texture and the mix of allspice, cinnamon, and ginger bring out a richer taste in the pumpkin. After a day of running around after little devils, this pumpkin pie will taste like a little slice of heaven.
Perfect for autumn when pumpkin is in season, this traditional American treat will surely become a family favourite for generations to come! Learning how to make pumpkin pie is very easy. You only need 20 minutes to prepare the ingredients and a bit longer than an hour to let them cook.
How to make a pumpkin pie from scratch? The answer is easy – simply follow the quick and easy steps below and you’ll be devouring this classic dessert in no time!
- Rub the Flora into the flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, then add egg yolk and water and mix to a firm dough.
- Knead lightly and roll out to line a 22cm (9 inch) flan case. Bake "blind" in preheated oven 200° C, 180° C fan, Gas mark 6 for 10 minutes.
- While the pastry case is baking you can prepare the filling. Combine sugar, salt and spices in small bowl; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the pumpkin. Add the sugar mixture and beat again until combined.
- Mix in the milk.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and put back into the oven. After 15 minutes turn the temperature down to 180° C, 160° C fan, Gas mark 4 and bake for a further 45 minutes or until the filling is set and you can insert a knife into the centre, and it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
~ For the pastry ~
- 175 g (6oz) plain flour, sieved
- 85 g (3oz) Flora Original
- 25 g (1oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
~ For the filling ~
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.125 tsp ground allspice
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 450 g cooked pumpkin, mashed
- 375 ml milk