Spicy jollof rice is a simple, tasty all-in-one recipe that’s popular in many parts of West Africa. Succulent chicken thighs are browned then cooked in a tomato, chilli and ginger sauce. Then you pop in the basmati rice and cook on a very low heat, adding colourful sliced peppers and okra on top, too. So you can bring one big tasty pot to the table and let everyone dig in!
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsps Flora cuisine in a large, deep frying pan over a high heat.
- Add in chicken and fry for 5 minutes, until lightly browned on all sides.
- Lift the chicken pieces out of the pan onto a plate.
- Add remaining Flora Cuisine to the frying pan and heat through.
- Fry the onion slices, stirring, until softened but without browning.
- Meanwhile, make the ginger and chilli base.
- In a food processor, blend together the garlic, tomatoes, ginger and chilli until smooth.
- Add the tomato puree to the onions in the pan.
- Fry for another 2 minutes then add the ginger and chilli mixture.
- Crumble in the stock cube, stir, then pour in 600ml boiling water.
- Add the browned chicken pieces to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the rice to the same pan, reduce to a simmer, cover with foil and a lid so that no steam can escape and cook over a very low heat for 20 minutes.
- Take the lid off and scatter the sliced peppers and okra over the rice.
- Cover and cook for 10–15 minutes until the vegetables are softened and the rice tender.
- Just before serving mix the vegetables through the rice and scatter over coriander.
~ Curry ~
- 8 skinless and boneless chicken thigh fillets cut into large pieces
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp Flora Cuisine
- 1 Large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 400 g basmati rice, rinsed three times in cold water to remove excess starch
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 100 g okra, halved
- 1 bunch of corriander, roughly chopped , to serve
~ Ginger and chilli base ~
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 400 g cans plum tomatoes
- 3 cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled
- 600 ml boiling water
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli deseeded