Quick & Easy Lasagne
Lasagne’s a perennial family fave – and this recipe’s a great, relatively simple version of the classic.
Here, the lean minced beef is cooked with stock, tomatoes and red wine, and then this meat sauce is layered with pasta sheets and smothered in a creamy cheesy béchamel sauce made with parmesan and Flora Original. Enriched with onions and carrots, this simple lasagne recipe can be finished off by sprinkling with cheese and cooking to perfection in the oven. It’s fab with a green salad – use this recipe the next time you’re making lasagne for a fuss-free meal that’s packed with flavour.
- Preheat oven to moderate. That’s 170°C (fan assisted), 350°F, gas mark 4.
- Place mince, onion and garlic in a pan and fry, stirring until the beef is browned.
- Crumble in the stock cube and stir in. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, herbs, pepper and wine. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the lasagne sheets in boiling salted water for 10–15 minutes until they’re just soft. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- For the sauce, bring the milk to the boil with the onion, carrot and bay leaf. Take off the heat and leave to infuse for 10–15 minutes. Strain the milk and place it back in the pan with the Flora Original and flour. Stir constantly and bring to the boil, then simmer for 2–3 minutes until the sauce has thickened and become smooth.
- In an ovenproof dish, layer the meat mixture, lasagne sheets and sauce in turn. Make sure your final layer is of the sauce and sprinkle the top with the cheese.
- Cook your easy lasagne in the preheated oven for 30–40 minutes.
Making lasagne couldn’t be easier with this simple lasagne recipe. Serve a slice with a fresh side salad made from green leaves, sliced cherry tomatoes and cucumber segments to enhance the flavour. If you want a quick and simple easy salad dressing, then try an Italian classic like a drizzle of olive oil or even a little balsamic vinegar.
~ For the lasagne ~
- 350 g (12oz) lean beef mince (10% fat)
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 beef stock cube
- 600 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2– 3 tbsp tomato puree
- Handful of fresh chopped mixed herbs
- Good pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small glass red wine (125 ml) (optional)
- 175 g (6oz) lasagna sheets
~ For the béchamel ~
- 425 ml (¾ pint) semi-skimmed milk
- 1 small onion and carrot
- Bay leaf
- 30g Flora Original
- 25 g flour
- 40 g (1½oz) Parmesan cheese, grated