With their deep red sponge and creamy white icing, red velvet cupcakes already look rather Christmassy. But why not up the ante and go all out with some festive decoration? Simply make some reindeer-coloured icing with a dash of cocoa powder, turn some pretzels into antlers and a turn a red sweetie into Rudolph’s famous nose. Delicious!
- Preheat oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 4.
- Weigh your eggs.Note the weight and measure the same amount of Flora, sugar and flour.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon 2 – 3 minutes until well mixed.
- Place dessert spoons of the mixture in 10-12 paper cases or greased bun tins.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until soft and springy to touch.
- Cool on a wire tray.
- Mix icing ingredients together and spread over the cakes.
- Decorate using pretzels for antlers, chocolate buttons and drops for eyes and red sweets for the nose.
- 115 g (4oz) Flora Original
- 115 g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs, medium
- 115 g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 15 g (½ oz) cocoa powder
- 30 ml red food colouring (gel is best)
~ Icing ~
- 55 g (2oz) Flora Original
- 225 g icing sugar, sieved
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk 25 g (1oz) cocoa powder
~ Decoration ~
- white chocolate buttons and plain chocolate drops
- red sweets