Tasty Yet Simple Lemon Drizzle Cake
Sweet, tangy and – most importantly – easy to make: our simple lemon drizzle cake recipe is always a crowd pleaser.
This easy-peasy baking recipe for a gorgeous lemon drizzle sponge cake is perfect for everything from parties to everyday teatimes. Whip up the simple cake batter in next to no time, then prepare the sweet and tangy drizzling syrup while it’s cooking in the oven. Pour the mouth-watering syrup over the light and fluffy sponge and let it sink into the cake while it’s still warm. Serve sliced and enjoy every bite of our delicious Flora lemon drizzle cake recipe.
- Sift the flour and baking powder (use ½ tsp only of baking powder) into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the lemon drizzle sponge cake mixture into a greased and deep 8-inch round tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (160°C fan or gas mark 4) for 40 to 45 minutes – or until cooked.
- Turn out your cake onto a wire tray.
- Put the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. This will create the syrup for this easy lemon drizzle cake recipe.
- Whilst cake is warm, drizzle the syrup over so that it soaks into the cake.
- Decorate with lemon slices, zest, lemon thyme and a sprinkling of icing sugar.
Now, all that’s left to do is tuck in!
Want to make this simple lemon drizzle cake recipe stretch further? Bake the cake batter in a round tin and cut the sponge after soaking it in the syrup. You can also get more use from the lemon. Simply use the leftover peels to add a subtle flavour to your next glass of water, to delicately infuse food stocks when cooking or to clean your kitchen once you’ve finished baking – lemon is a great natural cleaner.
~ For the cake ~
- 175 g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 175 g Flora Original
- 175 g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
~ For the lemon syrup ~
- Juice of 2 lemons, strained
- 115 g (4oz) caster sugar