Vegan Chocolate Brownies
Soft, gooey, and completely vegan friendly, these chocolate brownies have no egg or dairy but are still as tasty as ever. This brownie recipe includes instructions on how to make a prune mixture, but for a little shortcut you can use pureed prune baby food instead. Why? It stops the brownies getting too dry – trust us on this one.
- Preheat oven to 180° C, 160° C fan, Gas mark 4.
- Place prunes in a heatproof bowl, pour over 5 tablespoons of boiling water and leave to stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Liquidize the prune mixture using a hand blender until smooth and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, then add the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate, and mix well together.
- Stir through half of the chocolate then spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 20cm square tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped chocolate over the top and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until well risen.
- Check to see if your cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of each half.
- If it comes out clean, leave the cakes in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out and cooling on a wire rack.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- 75 g dried pitted prunes
- 75 g Flora Dairy Free
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 175 g plain flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 100 ml soya milk
- 50 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped