Warming Rhubarb Crumble
Few desserts are as comforting as a nice crumble, and many of us learn how to make rhubarb crumble or other crumble varieties when we’re little (a lovely tradition to either continue or adopt if you have little ones who like to help out in the kitchen). If you need a recipe for rhubarb crumble to allow people with a plant-based diet to indulge in the warm dessert, look no further. This vegan rhubarb recipe is one of the better vegan rhubarb recipes we’ve seen, and it tastes amazing for everyone. The key is to keep the Flora Dairy Free chilled and not to stir rhubarb too much (or it’ll go to mush).
Ingredients at the ready? Let’s make some vegan rhubarb crumble!
- Tip the rhubarb, brown sugar and lemon juice into a saucepan over a low heat, simmer for around 10–15 mins (depending on the thickness of your rhubarb), until softened but still holding shape, then tip into a baking dish.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Flora Dairy Free into a mixing bowl and use your fingertips to rub together, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar, flaked almonds and remaining oats. To make the topping, tip the flour and chilled
- Scatter the mixture over the rhubarb and bake for 25–30 mins, until golden and bubbling. Drizzle with vegan cream to serve.
As this rhubarb recipe is very quick and easy, you can use it to teach children how to make rhubarb crumble – just remember that handling the oven is a job better suited for adults and that hygiene is key when using your hands to make the topping. We’re prepared to bet on this becoming one of your favourite vegan rhubarb recipes, especially if you keep a plant-based diet and do a lot of baking!
- 1 kg rhubarb, cut into 3 cm chunks
- 150 g light brown sugar
- ½ lemon, juice only
- 120 g plain flour
- 80 g Flora Dairy Free, cubed and chilled
- 80 g light brown sugar
- 50 g oats
- 50 g flaked almonds