Beautifully Basted Roast Turkey
Overcooking can dry out delicate turkey meat. One way to get around this, and to guarantee glorious flavour, is to baste the bird before cooking. In this recipe, finely chopped smoky bacon is mixed with zingy orange rind, Flora and fresh herbs, and then gently pushed in under the skin.
- Carefully loosen the skin over the turkey breasts.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the baste and spread under the skin over the breasts.
- Press any chosen stuffing into the neck end of the turkey and tuck the neck flap under the birds back and secure with a small skewer.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting dish and cover with foil.
- Cook in preheated oven at 220°C, 200°C fan, gas mark 7 for 40 minutes, then reduce the heat to 170°C, 150°C fan, gas mark 3 for 3–3½ hours.
- Remove the foil, baste well, and increase the oven temperature to 200°C, 180°C fan, gas mark 6 for a further 30–45 minutes until well browned and thoroughly cooked through.
- Transfer to a large serving plate, cover loosely with foil and leave to stand for up to 45 minutes (to relax the meat and make carving easier).
- Remember to remove the turkey skin before eating.
- 5.4 - 6.5 kg (12-14 lb) oven ready whole turkey
- Orange and Bacon Baste
- 175 g (6oz) Flora Original
- finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 3 smoked back bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped plus extra for greasing fresh flat-leaf parsley and thyme black pepper Stuffing of your choice