Create a Board
Butternut Squash and Spinach Soup
This simple, scrummy butternut squash and spinach soup recipe is packed full of good things – not just the dark green spinach (and the butternut squash too) but carrots and leeks as well. There’s a lovely chilli kick too, along with the warmth of cumin to liven things up a bit. With added depth from chicken stock, this soup is so easy yet so warming and delicious. Perfect for autumn, when butternut squash is in season, this soup is the ideal healthy comfort food you need to give you an inner glow. What could be better?
Not only is butternut squash a great thickener, but its sweetness really compliments the spinach by taking away any bitterness. It’s a combination you may not have thought of before, but after you try this exquisite butternut squash soup recipe with a hint of ginger, cumin and hot chilli flakes, rest assured you’ll want to make it over and over again!
- In a large saucepan, heat Flora over a medium heat. Add the leeks and the garlic and sauté until softened and fragrant, for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chilli flakes, cumin, squash and carrots, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock; bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the spinach and simmer uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the soup into a food processor, reserving some squash for garnish, and puree until the mix is smooth.
- Season to your preferred taste with hot pepper sauce and garnish with the remaining squash and chopped fresh thyme if desired.
Light, velvety and creamy, this delicious butternut squash soup combines bold flavours that will suit both warm and cold seasons. Now that you’ve learnt how to make butternut squash soup that is both spicy and a little sweet, go explore your creativity by testing this recipe with different ingredients. It will be worth your while!
Looking for more heart-warming recipes? Our spaghetti bolognese or some roasted chicken thighs are the perfect comfort food for weekday dinners!
- 1.5 tbsp Flora Cuisine or 20g Flora Original
- 1 leek (pale green and white only), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 0.25 tsp hot chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 500 ml butternut squash, peeled deseeded and diced
- 1 Small carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 chicken stock
- 100 g baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 15 g fresh thyme chopped, optional
- Hot pepper sauce to taste, optional