Create a Board
Chocolate Beetroot Cake
It might sound like a weird combination but this easy chocolate beetroot cake is actually seriously delicious. Beetroot’s sweet and yummy – and it goes perfectly with chocolate in this simple but divine recipe. It includes both drinking chocolate and melted dark chocolate – plus a chocolate ganache icing – for extra depth of flavour. A raspberry and thick cream filling is the finishing touch that makes this perfect for any special occasion.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 5/190°C /170°C fan/375°F.
- Beat together the Flora Cuisine, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until mixture is smooth; about half a minute in the food processor should do it.
- Add melted chocolate and mix together thoroughly.
- Sieve the plain and self-raising flour, drinking chocolate, and baking powder together into a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, add in runny chocolate mixture and fold the mixture together.
- Fold in the finely chopped beetroot.
- Divide the mixture among two greased, lined 18cm (7 inch) prepared cake tins.
- Bake in the oven for 30–40 minutes until cooked through.
- Cool on wire rack and remove greaseproof paper from the base of each cake.
- Sandwich the two cakes together.
- If necessary, level the top of one cake off slicing off any prominent risen peak.
- Spread the newly levelled top with a nice thick layer of jam.
- Turn the other cake upside-down and spread the whipped cream evenly over the base before turning it the right way up again and putting it on top of the jam-covered layer.
- To make the ganache, place the cream in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Add the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture combined.
- Pour into a bowl and whisk until fluffy and cool.
- Spread the ganache smoothly and evenly over the top of the cake.
- 200 ml Flora Cuisine
- 225 g golden caster sugar
- 3 Medium eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g plain chocolate, broken into pieces and melted in a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water
- 100 g plain flour
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 100 g drinking chocolate
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200 g cooked beetroot, and whizzed in the food processor until very finely chopped
~ Filling ~
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
- 150 ml whipping cream, whipped until thick
~ Ganache ~
- 115 ml whipping cream
- 100 g plain chocolate, broken into pieces