Create a Board
Date and Walnut Loaf
A perfect teatime treat packed with fruit and nuts for rich, sweet flavours: this easy date and walnut loaf has the same amount of chopped dates as it does flour plus a tasty scoop of walnuts and a sunny dollop of Flora.
Simple to make and extra tasty – all you need to do is pour boiling water over half the ingredients then stir in the flour, walnuts, and egg. Pop it in the oven and prepare to slice. It’s the perfect recipe to try whether you’re baking with dates for the first time or as a seasoned pro.
Ready to start baking with dates? Walnut loaf is a classic bake, but by adding in sweet and sticky dates you can really elevate the flavours. Just follow these steps:
- Place the Flora, dates, sugar, and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the contents of the bowl. Allow to cool a little.
- Add the chopped walnuts, beaten egg and flour. Mix well together.
- Pour into a greased and greaseproof-lined 900 g (2lb) loaf tin.
- Bake your date and walnut loaf on the middle shelf of a preheated oven at 160°C (that’s 150°C fan or gas mark 3). Bake for approximately 1¼–1½ hours.
- Leave the loaf in the tin for 10–15 minutes after it’s finished cooking. Turn out and remove the paper before cooling on a wire tray.
- Dredge your baked date and walnut loaf with icing sugar and decorate with walnut halves. Use a little jam to secure them to the top of the cake.
Once you’ve mastered this easy date and walnut loaf recipe why not move onto other sweet treats? Browse our cake recipes for more inspiration – we’ve got everything from tangy lemon muffins to rich and indulgent vegan chocolate cakes for you to try at home.
~ Loaf ~
- 15 g Flora Original
- 225 g (8oz) dates, chopped
- 50 g (2oz) vanilla sugar
- 50 g (2oz) caster sugar
- 0.5 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125 ml (¼ pint) boiling water
- 50 g (2oz) walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg, medium, lightly beaten
- 225 g (8oz) self-raising flour, sieved
~ Decoration ~
- Icing sugar
- Walnut halves
- A little jam