Delicious Vegan Butternut Dahl
Keen to try a plant-based recipe that’s both great-tasting and good for you? You’ll want to try our vegan dahl with butternut squash. Lentil recipes like dahl are so hearty and warming, and the butternut squash gives it a sweetness that blends really well with the aromatic Indian spices. As the main ingredients are butternut squash and lentils, it’s also a healthy recipe packed full of veggies!
Ready to try this firecracker among butternut squash and lentil recipes? Let’s go!
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan. On a baking tray, toss the butternut squash chunks in the vegetable oil, garam marsala and a big pinch of salt. Roast for 30 minutes, until softened.
- Whilst the squash is roasting, add the cumin seeds to a saucepan and toast for 30 seconds, then add the Flora Dairy Free.
- Once melted, add the chopped onion and gently fry for a couple of minutes, until starting to turn translucent. Add the crushed garlic, red chilli and grated ginger, fry for 3 minutes longer. Add the turmeric, then tip in the lentils, stirring to coat them in the spices.
- Pour 800ml of water into the saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are softened.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add the roasted squash, and lemon juice, taste and season. Serve topped with a dollop of vegan yoghurt and coriander.
Out of all the butternut squash and lentil recipes out there, this butternut squash dahl may just be our favourite. It’s great as a starter at a dinner party (and it works perfectly even for vegan guests) or as part of an Indian-themed buffet. But this fiery dahl with butternut squash and lentils also makes for a lovely lunch or dinner to warm you up on a chilly day.
- 1 butternut squash peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 45 g Flora Dairy Free
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 finely chopped red chilli
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 200 g red lentils
- ½ lemon
- Coriander and vegan yogurt (to serve)