Create a Board
Easy Ginger Cake
This rich sweet, sticky and oh-so-easy ginger cake recipe is simple to make but will get you loads of compliments at teatime.
If you’re unsure how to make ginger cake, then fear not! In this recipe you simply melt together Flora, sugar, treacle, and golden syrup before adding cinnamon, ginger and flour, beating in an egg, and baking. Serve this quick and easy ginger cake as it is, or take your baking to the next level and make a simple ginger glaze icing to drizzle over once it’s cool.
Not sure how to make ginger cake? Our easy ginger cake recipe takes just 8 simple steps so it’s perfect for seasoned bakers and newcomers alike.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (that’s 160°C fan or gas mark 4) and grease and line a deep 18cm round cake tin.
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a mixing bowl.
- Melt Flora with the sugar, treacle, golden syrup and milk over a gentle heat. Stir gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the stem ginger to the flour and pour the melted ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Stir thoroughly then add the egg and beat together. This will form the batter of this easy ginger cake recipe.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Leave your ginger cake to cool completely before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
- Make the icing by blending the icing sugar with 2–3 tablespoons of ginger syrup to form a runny icing (adding 1–2 teaspoons of water if necessary). Drizzle over the top of the cake and finish by decorating with the stem ginger for a beautiful iced ginger cake.
The sweetness of the icing works beautifully with the fragrant ginger sponge and transforms this simple recipe into an iced ginger cake that’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Serve it as a Sunday treat or as part of the spread at your next party.
~ Cake ~
- 225 g (8oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 115 g (4oz) Flora Original
- 115 g (4oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 115 g black treacle
- 115 g golden syrup
- 250 ml (9 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- 85 g (3oz) stem ginger in syrup finely chopped
- 1 egg
~ Ginger glace icing ~
- 100 g (3½oz) icing sugar, sieved
- 2– 3 tbsp ginger syrup
- 25 g (1oz) stem ginger finely chopped