Create a Board
You can’t go wrong with this incredibly satisfying stew. And if you make it the night before the flavours will become even richer and the beef more melt-in-the-mouth. Serve with sour cream and chopped parsley on top, plus cabbage and potatoes (mashed or boiled) on the side.
- Preheat oven to 180°C, 160°fan, gas mark 4.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Flora Cuisine in large casserole dish.
- Coat the beef in flour, add to the casserole dish and cook on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side to brown the meat.
- Remove beef from pan and set aside.
- In the same dish heat remaining Flora Cuisine.
- Add onion, garlic and peppers and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat until onions and peppers start to soften but do not brown.
- Add the meat back onto the dish with tomato puree and paprika and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat stirring regularly.
- Add tomatoes, red wine (optional), bay leaf and thyme, and cook on medium heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add beef stock.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 1 hour 40 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Pour the stew into bowls and serve with sour cream and chopped parsley.
- 3 tbsp Flora Cuisine
- 700 g (25oz) beef stewing steak, cut into large cubes
- 30 g (1oz) plain flour
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- green pepper, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 red pepper, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp paprika (or sweet Hungarian paprika)
- 1 tinned chopped tomatoes
- 60 ml red wine (optional)
- 500 ml beef broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 150 ml reduced-fat sour cream