Vegan Apple Tart
Take your apple tart to a new level with this delicious vegan pastry. This fruit tart is sure to become a family favourite! An apple tart, vegan or not, is very simple to make, and it’s the perfect way to showcase the ultimate autumn fruit, the apple! With swirls of thinly sliced apples layered in a flaky crust, this vegan apple tart recipe is one beautiful pie sweetened with rich apricot jam and tasty lemon juice.
It may look complex to make this vegan apple pie from scratch, but the ingredient list is short and the procedure straightforward. It will only take you 25 minutes to prepare the crust and filling and another 15 to let it cook. This vegan apple tart also makes for an elegant presentation, so if you have guests to impress this dessert is the perfect choice!
There’s some science that goes into making the perfect crust and filling for vegan apple recipeslike this one, but the lesson will be over in 8 easy steps:
- To make the pastry: rub Flora into the flour until the mixture resembles fine even breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and mix in. Add the water and mix with a round bladed knife to a firm dough.
- Knead on a lightly-floured surface until smooth.
- Cover and chill.
- Roll out the pastry and use to line a 20cm flan dish.
- Bake blind by lining the pastry with greaseproof paper and filling with dry baking beans. Place in the preheated oven 190ºC, 170ºC fan, gas mark 5 for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Cut the cooking apples into chunks and place them in a pan with the sugar and lemon juice. Cook over a low heat until the apples are soft and become a puree. Cool.
- Spoon into a pastry case and arrange over-lapping apple slices over the top. Place back in the oven for 20 mins until the apple is lightly coloured and glaze with the apricot jam.
If you want other sweet vegan treats like this one, try our vegan chocolate brownies or our delicious vegan carrot cake!
~ For the pastry ~
- 75 g Flora Dairy Free
- 175 g plain flour, sieved
- 20 g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
~ For the filling ~
- 900 g Bramley apples, peeled and cored
- 85 g caster sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 sweet apples
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam to glaze