Vegan Shortbread Biscuits to Share
If you’ve never tried making vegan biscuits before, this is a great starter recipe as well as one to come back to again and again. This is a great basic vegan biscuit recipe that you can vary slightly to fit your needs. It’s so simple that you can use it to make vegan shortbread biscuits with your children (feel free to go crazy with cookie cutters and food colouring). Want a different flavour? Replace or balance the vanilla extract with orange juice or rosewater to make orange and rose-flavoured vegan shortbread!
Got your ingredients ready? Great – here’s how to make vegan shortbread.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, cream the Flora Dairy Free and sugar until light, add the vanilla, then stir in flour, bring the mix together in your hands, then wrap in cling film and flatten into a disk.
- Chill for 1 hour – use your freezer if the mix is particularly soft. Once chilled, heat the oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to around 5 mm thickness, moving the disk around a little to make sure it doesn’t stick to the floured surface- add a little more flour to the surface if necessary.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut into shapes, then transfer the cut biscuits to a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Re-roll out the offcuts and repeat. Sprinkle in a little extra sugar and bake for 10–12mins, until lightly golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cools a little, then drizzle with melted chocolate. Allow to cool completely before tucking in!
This shortbread recipe will produce exquisite vegan shortbread biscuits that melt in your mouth just as they are, but they’re also very easy to personalise. Apart from using different kinds of flavouring, you can vary the decoration of this vegan shortbread recipe with white chocolate (which can be dyed with natural food colouring), different kinds of sprinkles or coloured sugar to make your vegan biscuits more fun or to fit a certain theme. Why not use them as basis for a biscuit decoration competition at a children’s party?
- 200 g Flora Dairy Free
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g plain flour
- 50 g melted dark chocolate